How do I become a CNS user?

In order to use CNS facilities or resources, you must first enroll in the CNS/NNIN User Program. The enrollment process is different dependent on whether you are a Harvard user or outside user.

CNS facilities are open to academic and non-academic researchers whose institution is based in the United States who enroll in the user program. 

If you are unsure whether you are considered a Harvard or outside user, please

Read more about How do I become a CNS user?

When can I get an iris scan at CNS?

You need to come to the CNS Admin Office at LISE 306 during normal business hours. Please note that we will only do an iris scan for a User that has qualified to enter a iris scan accessed lab space.

How do I tell if I am a Harvard User or a Non- Harvard User?

Whatever institution is paying for the user fees is considered the "Institution of Record." One can only be considered a Harvard User if you are paying with a 33-digit account code. If you are paying with a purchase order issued by another institution, you are considered a Non- Harvard User.

Is my iris data safe?

Yes. We use iris scans (not retinal scans) only. It is simply a picture of your eye. It gets stored on a secured server encrypted as a series of numbers. Even if someone got a hold of the server, they could neither translate the numbers back to a picture nor be able to associate them with you. It is simply a recognition system that ties into the actual access system. There is no connection between your iris scan record and any confidential HR or medical records.

As a Non-Harvard User, who should the sign on behalf of the Institution on the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)?

The Institutional signature needs to be from someone who has official signatory status for that organization. As each institution is organized differently it is impossible to specifically state a person that has signatory authority. For academic institutions, it would be a fair assumption that most people with Dean in their title have this authority. If one was to hand us such a form, we would take it to the sponsored research office as they definitely have this authority as they sign-off on Federal grant proposals as part of their function. In some cases, Dept. Chairs may have this Read more about As a Non-Harvard User, who should the sign on behalf of the Institution on the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)?